BA(Hons), DipArch, FRIBA
David is an Architect with remarkable experience throughout the design process. He has led and managed large-scale and complex undertakings in a wide range of sectors and building types from briefing and feasibility, concept design, design development, management, code compliance and construction documentation, procurement strategy and construction to coordination with Counsel and on the analyzing and report of claims and disputes.
David has an impressive legacy of several building design awards and is highly regarded for his excellence of management and expertise.
As Technical Principal, responsible for maintaining high quality technical production standards on all projects, he has had overall responsibility for office strategy in digital information management (BIM), the Integrated Management Systems (ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001), and BREEAM/LEED, EA/DDA, CDM compliance.
Former Technical Principal for HOK London and member of HOK Group Project Delivery Board. Principal in charge (2005-2017):
- Spire London, Canary Wharf, London, UK – £450 million (completion due 2022). Contract negotiation and procurement strategy for a 235m tall 67 storey tower. It will be Western Europe’s tallest residential tower.
- New Papworth Hospital, Cambridge, UK – £125 million (completion due 2018). Full architectural, medical planning, interior and landscape design services. An innovative state-of-the-art building structure with high performance engineering systems.
- The Francis Crick Institute, London, UK – £485 million. Architectural, lab planning, interior and landscape design for six of the world’s leading biomedical research organisations. A 91,000 sqm new building, it achieved BREEAM ‘Excellent’ in 2016. Winner of the R&D Lab of the Year Award 2017 ; the RTPI ‘Silver Jubilee Cup ’ for ‘Excellence in Planning to Create Economically Successful Places’; and the London First/RTPI London Planning Award for ‘Best New Place to Work’.
- St Barts &The Royal London Hospital, London, UK – £1.2 billion. Full architectural, medical planning, interior and landscape design services; the largest PFI project in the UK. Redevelopment and extension of the 2 hospitals, 210,000 sqm of new state-of-the-art facilities. It won the European Healthcare Design Award (NHS Healthcare category) in 2016.
Senior Project Manager (2000-2005):
- Telford College, Edinburgh, Scotland, UK – £40 million. Design and construction documents for new 35,000 sqm purpose-built vocational college campus – novated to D&B contractor for delivery and site support.
- Barclays World Headquarters, Canary Wharf, London, UK – £215 million. Full architectural, interior and landscape design services, a 93,000 sqm high rise tower interconnecting with the major retail facilities of Canary Wharf, the Jubilee Line and DLR. Winner in 2004 of the ‘National Green Champion for Environmental Best Practice’ Award, and the Bovis Lendlease Award for greatest annual contribution to improvement in construction safety.
- Ministry of Defence, Main Building, Whitehall, London – £400 million (£750 PFI). Architectural, interior design and conservation services for the complete refurbishment of the 93,000 sqm. Historic rooms restored. MoD-London buildings refurbished to allow decant of the Main Building included: Northumberland House (Grade II* listed) – housing 1100 staff; Metropole Building – housing 1100 staff ; St Giles Court – housing 1300 staff.
- UAE Projects
- JTWR Centre, Dubai – £125 million, full design concept, development and construction documents, a 42,000 sqm high-end Spa Resort Development.
- Dubai World Trade Centre, Dubai. Mixed use masterplan for 3.8 million sqm of convention centre, exhibition halls and support facilities, with commercial and residential towers.
- Dubai Festival City, Dubai – £225 million; masterplan 2.4 million sqm development; full design and construction documents for 200,000 sqm retail development with marina & landscaping.
Senior Project Architect (1995-2000):
- 40 Grosvenor Place, London, UK – £48 million. 30,000 sqm high spec office development for the Grosvenor Estate. Winner in 2001 of three BCO Awards; (i) Best Commercial Building – South East England; (ii) Best Commercial Building – National; (iii) ‘Best of the Best Building’- across all categories.
- Old Admiralty Building, Whitehall, London, UK. Redevelopment of Grade I listed buildings, Cabinet Office relocation.
- Foreign & Commonwealth Office, Whitehall, London, UK. Grade I listed building refurbishment programme. Awarded the Europa Nostra – Medal of Honour in 1998.
Project Architect (1988-1995):
- Marlborough House, The Mall, London, UK. Refurbishment of Grade I listed building modern office space for the Commonwealth Secretariat. Winner of ‘The Brick Award’ for conservation excellence in 1996.
- Broadwick Street, London, UK. Team leader for 5,500 sqm retail & office redevelopment for Lynton plc.
- The Home Office, Queen Anne’s Gate, London, UK. Interior design and site administration for fast- track refurbishment, part of Home Secretary’s Office; under a ‘time of the essence’ contract.
- The Royal Institute of British Architects and the Architects Registration Board. Elected to Fellowship of the RIBA in 2016.
Membership of Professional Bodies:
- City of London Corporation
- CIC BIM Forum
- CIC Liability Panel
- Building SMART UKI
- RIBA (Royal Institute of British Architects)
- RIBA Large Practice Group
- RIBA International Committee (Ethics Champion)
- Apprenticeship Standards Trailblazer Group
- BA (Hons) Architecture – Newcastle University (1976)
- Diploma of Architecture – Canterbury College of Art (1979)
- RIBA Part III (1981)
- BRE BIM Essentials
- BREEAM Green Associate
For a detailed CV please contact us