BSc (Edin) DipArch MSc Construction Law
Katerina is a Chartered Architect with over 20 years’ experience in the construction industry in the UK and Middle East, and a Master’s Degree in Construction Law.
Before joining Probyn Miers, Katerina worked with a number of design led architecture firms in London and Beirut. She started her own architectural practice in London in 2001 where she concentrated primarily on high end residential projects, including work with historic buildings.
Katerina has a broad experience in design, construction and urban regeneration projects in London, Beirut, the Middle East and China. Her expertise includes the design, management, coordination and contract administration of new-build, refurbishment and restoration projects of high quality residential accommodation
- Katerina has worked in the UK with a variety of private clients in high value projects as well as with developers, including St George and Berkeley Homes. In the Middle East she has worked with Solidere (Beirut) and Emaar (Dubai) as well as other local private and commercial clients.
- She has been involved in a number of urban regeneration projects in downtown Beirut, including master planning of key specific areas, and in design and management of residential and commercial projects in Lebanon, Qatar and Dubai of value to US$50 million.
- Katerina has acted as a Site Architect and Project Architect for urban and new built projects valued up £21 million and has worked extensively on Listed Buildings and in Conservation Areas in London and elsewhere in the UK.
- Katerina has run projects under a broad range of standard form contracts and has assisted with the drafting/amendment of appointments, bespoke contracts, warranties and novation agreements. She has also provided consultancy services to architects relating to legal compliance, risk management, issues of liability and professional negligence, dispute avoidance and dispute resolution and continues to provide CPD lectures on aspects of professional practice in the architecture industry.
- Katerina Hoey Architects (2000-2014). London and associated offices in Paris & Beirut.
- Urbatecture (Beirut 1999-2000). A joint venture in Beirut liaising with companies in the region, including Kuwait and Dubai to facilitate architectural activities of BDG McColl in the Middle East.
- NG Architecture & Planning (Beirut, 1996-2000), Associate & Project Manager.
- BDP with Rick Mather (1996), Senior Architect.
- Lifschutz Davidson Sandilands (1994-1996), Team Architect.
- RHWL Architects (1994), Team Architect.
- Jestico and Whiles Architects (1993), Team Architect.
- Team architect for various competition entries and housing projects.
Memberships and Awards
- Architects Registration Board (ARB)
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (MCIArb)
- Society of Construction Law (SCL)
- Adjudication Society (AS)
- Exhibited at 2003 Royal Academy Summer Exhibition
- Entry to Grand Egyptian Museum Competition in 2002 (with Ayssar Arida) shortlisted as exceptional entry and included in publication of selected entries
- Awarded ‘The Society of Construction Law Award ‘ for best dissertation whilst studying for the MSc in Construction Law
Publications (a selection)
- ‘Access to Justice: Recent Developments in Alternative Dispute Resolution’, February 2017, ‘Perspective’ Journal.
- “Final Certificates and the “conclusive evidence” clause under JCT: An update” 2015, ‘Perspective’ Journal.
- Going, going, gone! Expert immunity after Jones v Kaney / What does the future hold for Expert Witnesses in the construction field?”-2011. (Driver Trett Digest Newsletter Issue 3, June 2013).
- English, French (moderate), Greek (basic), Arabic (basic)
Recent Public Speaking – a selection
- ‘Consumer Refurbishment Clients and Contracts Administration Obligations’ Kings College – Construction The Consumer And The Law: Time For Change? London – June 2016