BA(Hons), BSc(Hons)Arch, DipArch, MA (Hons) RIBA, MAE, MIFireE
Martin is a Chartered Architect with over 35 years experience of private and public architectural practice in a wide spectrum of building types in the UK and abroad.
He has 10 years experience as an expert witness and has been instructed in disputes up to £80 million value. He is regularly instructed in cases involving defective design and construction, and the performance of architects and contractors. He has also acted as single joint expert.
Martin’s unique specialist knowledge on fire damage and fire safety is well acknowledged and highly respected (‘The Architect Who Knew Too Much About Fire’, Probyn Miers Newsletter ‘Perspective’, February 2013).
- Martin has an in-depth knowledge of Building Regulations and Construction Legislation.
- Martin has extensive specialist knowledge in fire safety, with wide experience of negotiations with Fire Brigades and Local Authorities over the fire strategies for large and unique buildings. He has reported on fatal fires for criminal proceedings.
- He has reported on means of escape and on fire damage claims up to £80m arising from arson, hot work, electrical faults, equipment overheating, kitchen fires, stove flues, saunas, smoking and lightning strike among other causes.
- Martin has an impressive track record as an expert on the analysis of spread of fire involving issues of compartmentation, cavity barriers, fire-and smoke-stopping, and combustibility of materials. He has reported on timber frame fires and construction site fires.
- Martin is particularly respected in the industry for his tenacity for complex problem-solving and has as well produced expert reports on construction defects such as waterproofing, damp-proofing, insulation materials, vapour barriers, basements and water ingress, roof and floor leaks, insulation materials, condensation and settlement of timber frame buildings.
- He has been appointed in non-litigious advisory roles, including Design Audits.
- Martin has an extensive architectural experience as Site Architect in the Seychelles and in the UK. His track record includes among others: Private residential projects, BBC domestic and World Service transmitting stations, exhibition centres, retailing, hotels, railway stations, airport lounges, residential care homes, and the HMS Belfast warship museum.
- Member of the Academy of Experts
- Member of the Royal Institute of British Architects
- Member of the Institution of Fire Engineers
- He has carried out a Health and Safety audit of an innovative and prestigious arts complex in northern Spain.
- Awarded a Masters in Spanish and Latin American Cultural Studies (Birkbeck College, University of London) in 2013. He is a Spanish speaker.
- Aukett Ltd (2002-3), Senior Architect, Radisson Stansted, a £40 million airport hotel.
- Bracey Edwards Architects (1992-2001), Partner, overseeing projects up to £15 million.
- Stewart K. Riddick & Partners Ltd, Senior Architect (1989-92), Wembley Exhibition Centre (£12million).
- British Broadcasting Corporation (1978-89), Project Leader.
Languages: English (mother tongue), Spanish (fluent).
Publications (a selection)
- ‘Fire Safety in Tall Buildings, Part 2 – The Future’, October 2016, ‘Perspective’ Journal.
- ‘UAE Fire Risks: A tall Concern.; MEIR News, April 2016. Co-author
- ‘Fire Risks From External Cladding Panels – A Perspective From The UK’, February 2016, ‘Perspective’ Journal.
- ‘Fire Safety in Tall Buildings – Part 1’, October 2015, ‘Perspective’ Journal.
- Martin is the author of the chapter on Construction Legislation in England and Wales in the Architects’, Legal Handbook 10th edition – 2010
- Martin is the author of various articles in ‘Perspective’, Probyn Miers’s Newsletter, including: Designing buildings for Fire Safety: BS 9999: 2008; Changes to Building Regulations and Approved Documents; Fire Safety in Timber Framed Buildings – Fire Spread in Cavities; Building Regulations: Past, Present and Future; and Planning Reform Proposals.
Recent Public Speaking – a selection
- ‘A Forensic Examination Of Tall Building Facade Fires’ Tall Building Fire Safety Network, FIREX, London – June 2016
- ‘Fires In The Sky – Building Envelope Fires In Dubai Skyscrapers’ RISCAuthority, Manchester – May 2016
For a detailed CV please contact us