MA (Arch), LLM, RIBA, FCIArb, MAE
Bart is a Chartered Architect with more than 35 years’ experience in the construction industry in the UK and internationally. He is also a Barrister (non-practicing).
As an expert witness Bart has been appointed as a named expert in over 90 claims valued at between £50,000 and £500M. He has been cross examined on his expert evidence in the High Court and in international arbitration proceedings, where he has also participated in witness conferencing. In addition, he has presented oral evidence in numerous adjudication proceedings and frequently participates in mediations.
Before joining Probyn Miers, Bart held senior positions at several prominent UK and US architectural firms, and was a design manager for a major UK construction and civil engineering contractor.
- He is experienced in the design and management of complex projects. He was heavily involved in: the development of Terminal 5 at Heathrow Airport; the extension of the North Terminal at Gatwick Airport; new airport terminals in Larnaka and Paphos (Cyprus) and major commercial projects in the City of London and elsewhere.
- Bart’s expertise includes the design, management, and coordination of multidisciplinary consultant teams on complex commercial, aviation and retail projects and the design and management of new-build and refurbishment projects for high quality residential accommodation.
- He has a track record of administration of construction contracts on new buildings, refurbishments and residential developments up to £100m (current value). He also has experience of listed buildings and conservation areas in both the commercial and high value residential sectors.
- As expert witness Bart has acted in disputes involving matters of professional negligence, building defects, design defects and project management. He has given oral evidence in the High Court, at international arbitration hearings and in adjudication proceedings. He has also taken part in numerous mediations.
Morgan Sindall Contractors, design manager (Mar 2011 – Aug 2012). Coordinating consultant design input on major airport projects. (£150m+)
3D Reid Architects (Sep 2010 – Jan 2011). Freelance Architect working on upgrade projects at Heathrow and Gatwick Airports and urban regeneration projects in the west end and the City of London.
Arup (Jun 2010 – Sep 2010). Freelance Architect working on a new international air terminal building in Baku, Azerbaijan and a new university campus in Saudi Arabia.
Kohn Pederson Fox Associates, senior Architect (July 2007 – Nov 2008). Coordinating client and consultant teams on bespoke commercial projects in the City and West End of London (up to £1.2Bn)
Pascall+Watson Architects, senior Architect (May 2005 – Jun 2007). Leading multi-disciplinary design and production teams on major airport projects (£500m+)
KF Associates, Partner and Principal (Sep 1998 – Apr 2005). One of two partners responsible for residential, commercial, industrial and retail projects ranging from £50k to £35m in the UK, Latvia, Estonia, Greece and Italy.
Gensler Associates Architects, Associate (Jan 1996 – Aug 1998). Leading teams for the design and procurement of large scale commercial and retail projects (£25m+).
GMW Partnership, Associate (Sep 1978 – Apr 1993). Leading multi-disciplinary design and production teams on bespoke and speculative commercial projects. (£60m+).
- RIBA – Member
- Honourable Society of Middle Temple – Member
- CIArb – Fellow
- Academy of Experts – Member
- Accredited Mediator
- Master of Laws (“LLM”) – City Law School (2014)
Diploma in International Arbitration – Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (2013)
Bar Vocational Course (“BVC”) – City Law School (2010)
Graduate Diploma in Law (“GDL”) – BPP Law School (2009)
Certificate of Mediation Skills for ADR – Regent’s College London (2009)
RIBA Professional Practice – Part III – University of the South Bank (1995)
MA (Arch) – Kingston University (1994)
Publications (a selection)
- ‘Avoiding and Resolving Disputes: A Short Guide for Architects’, May 2017, Book Published by RIBA Publishing.
- ‘Experts in the dock – Recent criticisms of expert evidence’, November 2018, ‘Perspective’ Journal.
- ‘One size fits all or made to measure? Is the professional standard of care about to be reassessed?’, June 2018, ‘Perspective’ Journal.
- ‘Design Responsibility – The Unassuming Designer’, February 2018, ‘Perspective’ Journal.
- ‘The New Pre Action Protocol and Expert Evidence’, May 2017, ‘Perspective’ Journal.
‘There’s Many a Slip; But Do They All Need Expert Help?’, June 2016, ‘Perspective’ Journal.
‘A Stitch in time?’, October 2014, ‘Perspective’ Journal.
‘Trebor Basset – A case of suck it and see?’, February 2014, ‘Perspective’ Journal.
‘The Role of Lead Consultant in Design and Build Procurement’, October 2013, ‘Perspective’ Journal.
‘Think Twice When Giving Advice’, June 2013, ‘Perspective’ Journal.
‘JCT Tendering Practice’, Article Co-Author, February 2013 JCT News.
‘Contractual Responsibility for Specialist Design’, October 2012, ‘Perspective’ Journal.
Bart has written on a wide range of subjects including; the perception of architecture in life and in photography.
Recent Public Speaking – a selection
- ‘The role of the expert witness’ – talk delivered to students on the MSc/LLM dispute resolution module at the University of Salford. 05 December 2018
- ‘Fire Safety in Tall buildings – The safety of the people shall be the highest law’ – Hogan Lovells Middle East Construction Forum, Dubai, 26 September 2018
- ‘Expert Hot Tubbing’ – Business and Property Courts Forum at Northumbria University, Newcastle, 11 June 2018
- ‘Awarding extensions of time’ – CIArb, Thames Valley Branch, Milton Keynes, 18 April 2018
- ‘Avoiding and Resolving Disputes’ – RIBA Eastern Region, St Albans, 05 October 2017
- ‘Design Responsibility’ Talk, RIBA, RICS, CIArb Joint Meeting, Maidenhead, 08 March 2017
For a detailed CV please contact us