MScEE LLM(oec) LLM(CL&Arb) FCIArb
Cecilia is an Electrical Engineer with more than 30 years’ experience in high profile and complex engineering projects, as well as in claims and contract management, project management and International Dispute Avoidance worldwide. Cecilia has extensive, specialist experience in the design and commissioning of power plants (fossil and nuclear), HV and MV-Substations, transmission lines and oil and gas projects.
In addition to her MScEE Cecilia has a Law Degree in Construction Law and Arbitration and a Law degree in International Commercial Law as well as a certificate in Administration of International Construction Contracts. She is familiar with contracts under NEC 3, FIDIC and bespoke terms, including various ADR (DRB/ DAB) provisions.
- Cecilia’s professional experience in complex infrastructure and energy projects ranging to in excess of €3b , has given her an in-depth expertise of contracts in D&B, EPC and BOT projects, on the drafting and procurement of on and off-shore sub-contracts as well as a successful track record in negotiating liquidated damages claims. She has a particular expertise in high profile multidisciplinary projects such as on the design and programming for Full Scope Simulators for Nuclear Power Plants, and on the design of the I&C for turbines and balance of plant for Combined Cycle Power Plants.
- She has an equally extensive background in contract management and dispute avoidance in claims and negotiations. Her appointments have taken her to Chile, Brazil, Mexico, Panama, India, Pakistan, Malaysia, China, South Korea, Portugal, England, Italy, Spain, Germany, France, Lebanon, Turkey, Ethiopia, Djibouti, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Kuwait and USA.
- With her highly regarded ability to transmit her expertise in the Energy Sector, she has led numerous training programmes for substantial EPC Projects in Korea, Europe and USA.
- Cecilia has a successful track record of drafting and negotiating LD claims in ‘Energy Distribution Projects’ and of negotiating ‘Termination for Convenience Claims’ in the Middle East and Africa.
- She has a wide involvement in arbitral proceedings and in the negotiating of settlement agreements in projects in South America, Saudi Arabia and Europe, where she has led international multi-disciplinary teams.
- Exclusive consultant for Probyn Miers worldwide (present)An extensive International track record as a lead Engineer, Contract Manager and Claims Negotiator (1993- present).
- Siemens AG, Germany. Focusing on the areas of electrification, automation and digitalisation. Siemens is a leading supplier of systems for power generation and transmission as well as medical diagnosis and plays a pioneer role in infrastructure and industry solutions (1984-2015): Leading Contract Manager € 500m+ , Head of Project Task Force € 450m, Senior Contract Manager € 3b+ , Lead Engineer and Head of Change Order Management -Oil Refinery $ 75m+.
- A trainer and speaker on FIDIC contracts (Yellow, Silver books and other Rainbow Suite forms); on Contract Management in Procurement; Claims Management; Contract Management Awareness’ and on Construction Law and International Dispute Resolution and Avoidance.
- Consultant to the ‘Master Program in Contract Management’, Institute of Commercial Law at the University of Siegen, Germany (2013- 2015).
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb)-Fellow
- Institute of World Business Law of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), Paris – Appointed Member.
- The Centre of Alternative Dispute Resolution (ICC) – Appointed Member of the Standing Committee.
- Master LLM Construction Law & Arbitration– Robert Gordon University (UK) 2010.
- Master LLM (oec) – Saarland University (Germany) 2007.
- Constr. Contract Law & Administration – John Moore University (UK) – 2005.
- Master MscEE – Universidad Técnica Federico Santa María (Chile) – 1977.
Languages: English (fluent), German (fluent), Spanish (mother tongue), French (fluent), Portuguese (intermediate), Italian (intermediate), Romanian (intermediate).
Recent Public Speaking – a selection
- ‘Contrasting perspectives between external and in-house counsel on the practice of international arbitration’ 5th ICC MENA Conference on International Arbitration, Dubai – April 2017
- ‘Dispute Boards and Arbitration: Compare & Contrast of ADR Tools’ DRBF – 16th Annual International Conference, Santiago, Chile – May 2016
- ‘Design Liability: Risk Share, Conflicts and a Little of Common Sense?’, Probyn Miers – Construction Dispute Avoidance Conference, London – September 2015.
- International Contracts & Dispute Resolution, Construction Law, London – June 2015.
- Asociación Latinoamericana de Arbitraje (ALArb), México – January & November 2015.
- International Construction Contracts & Dispute Resolution, FIDIC / ICC Bogotá – March 2015.
- International Arbitration in Latin America: The ICC Perspective, Miami – November 2014.
- Arbitration in the Middle East, Madrid – ICADE – CEA, May 2014.
- FIDIC/ICC International Construction Contracts & Dispute Resolution, Paris – June 2013.
- Congreso Internacional de Arbitraje y Conciliación, Cuzco – April 2013.
- International Construction Contracts, ICC, Cd. De Panamá – August 2012.
- Effective Contract Risk Management, Amsterdam – September 2011.
- FIDIC/ICC International Construction Contracts and the Resolution of Disputes, Sao Paulo – June 2010
Recent Publications – a selection
- Kommentierung eines Originalliefervertrages für Lieferungen nach China, Bundesanzeiger – October, 2013.
- Lieferungen mit grenzüberschreitenden Montagetätigkeiten deutscher KMU, Bundesanzeiger – August 2014.
- Die Vertriebsstrukturen deutscher KMU für den grenzüberschreitenden Warenhandel, Bundesanzeiger – August 2014.
- Is an employer in breach of contract prevented from terminating the contract for its convenience? In Klee, L. International Construction Contract Law, Ed. Wiley-Blackwell – 2015.
- Brenner, H., Misu, C. (Editors) Internationales Business Development, Springer Verlag – 2015.
- Der ICC Mustervertrag für den internationalen Warenhandel, Bundesanzeiger – August, 2015.
- Der elektronische Handel im internationalen Geschäftsverkehr: Einige Rechtsfragen, Bundesanzeiger – December 2015.
For a detailed CV please contact us