Christopher J P Miers
BA (Hons), DipArch, MSc (Constr.Law), DipICArb RIBA, FCIArb, MAE
Founder and Managing Director
Christopher is a Chartered Architect, Chartered Arbitrator, Mediator, Adjudicator and an International Dispute Board Member for construction projects including FIDIC contracts.
Regarded as a leading negotiator and advisor in construction conflicts.
An Expert Architect on dispute avoidance and resolution in complex domestic and international construction projects.
With over 30 years in the construction industry and 25 years of extensive experience instructed in construction disputes worldwide.
- His advisory and negotiating roles have taken him to serve on multi-disciplinary building and infrastructure projects all over the world: Azerbaijan, Barbados, Cayman Islands, Brazil, Ecuador, Costa Rica, France, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Morocco, Nepal, New Zealand, Oman, Portugal, Sudan, Qatar, United Arab Emirates, Tanzania, Ukraine and United Kingdom.
- Appointed in over 375 cases in domestic and international projects in his various areas of expertise as an Arbitrator, Litigator, Mediator, Adjudicator, Expert Witness and in Dispute Avoidance; in projects up to €15 billion and on claims in excess of US$200 million.
- He has given extensive evidence in the Technology and Construction Court in London, as an ICC Tribunal expert and Single Joint Expert and in international ICC and domestic arbitrations.
- Instructed in respect of the Avoidance and Resolution of construction disputes in Africa, Asia, Caribbean, CIS, Europe, and the Middle East.
- An extensive technical expertise across a wide range of building design and construction associated with roads and tunnels; power stations; tower buildings, international airports and hotels; sports & lesisure, hospitals/medical; urban regeneration; national heritage; transport; residential; civil works; etc
- Instructed on contract cases involving FIDIC, JCT, NEC3, AIA, RIAI and other standard and bespoke forms of contract. Member Contract Drafting Committee, JCT.
- Past President Dispute Resolution Board Foundation (DRBF) Region 2, Board Member and past Chair of DRBF International Training.
- Rio de Janeiro 2016 Olympics & Paralympics, leader for ‘Committee of Dispute Resolution’ (‘CDR’).
- Co-led and introduced The Procedural Rules for effective dispute resolution at Rio 2016 Olympics & Paralympics.
- Dispute Board Panel Member on current construction and infrastructure projects among them in the public domain: the €13 billion ITER Fusion for Energy power project (“F4E”) and the Conflict Avoidance Panel for the €12 billion London cross rail project (stations section).
- RIBA representative to the Construction Industry Council Appeals Tribunal, and a RIBA representative on the Joint Contracts Tribunal.
- Collaborates in various International Forums on his extensive research and worldwide lectures on ‘How to avoid Disagreements Escalating into Disputes’.
- Regular guest speaker for FIDIC and DRBF international Conferences.
- Visiting Professor in Commercial Mediation Skills at Peking University of Transnational Law and visiting lecturer at Universities in UK, lecturing on International Commercial Mediation and Dispute Avoidance and Resolution.
- Trainer and workshop leader on Dispute Boards and FIDIC contracts for engineers, architects, contractors, owners and lawyers.
- Pupil master for young arbitrators.
- Past Chairman of the Society of Construction Law, UK.
- Assessor for the Civic Trust Awards in the UK for 10 years.
- Past Honorary Secretary and Treasurer to the Society of Construction Arbitrators.
- Founder, partner Charles-Jones Park & Miers, an architectural firm leading projects in the health, education, leisure, commercial and residential sectors (1985-93).
- Peterson Consulting (London office), executive consultant (1993-96).
- Symonds Group, Director. A multi-disciplinary international consultancy of 1200 engineers, surveyors and architects (1996-98).
- FIDIC President’s List of Approved Dispute Adjudicators
- DRBF Dispute Resolution Board Foundation, Dispute Board Member
- CIArb Panel Listed Arbitrator and Adjudicator (UK)
- RICS Dispute Board Panel Member & MENA Arbitrator (UK)
- DIAC (Dubai International Arbitration Centre); Listed Arbitrator
- CRCIA The Cairo Regional Centre, Egypt
- CIC Panel Adjudicator
- RIBA Panel Listed Arbitrator, Adjudicator and Mediator
- CEDR Panel Listed Mediator and Adjudicator (UK)
- RICS Panel Listed Adjudicator
- CIOB Panel Listed Adjudicator
- Resolex Panel Listed Construction Mediator (UK)
- Contractors Legal Group, Listed Adjudicator (UK)
Membership of Professional Bodies
- DRBF -Dispute Resolution Board Foundation- Past President (International Region).
- FIDIC President’s List
- CIArb Fellow Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, UK
- RIBA -Royal Institute of British Architects, UK
- RICS MENA Arbitrator and Dispute Board Member, UK
- DBF (Dispute Board Federation), Fellow
- SCA Arbitrator (Society of Construction Arbitrators, UK
- Freeman and Liveryman, Worshipful Company of Arbitrators, UK
- Academy of Experts, Member, UK
- Visiting Professor ‘Peking University of Transnational Law’
- Bachelor of Arts(Hons.) degree, University of Bristol (1979)
- Diploma in Architecture, University of Bristol (1982)
- Master’s degree in Construction Law & Arbitration, Kings College, University of London (1991)
- Diploma in International Commercial Arbitration, CIArb at Keble College, Oxford University (2008)
- Chartered Architect
- Chartered Arbitrator
- Accredited Mediator
Languages: English (mother tongue), Spanish (Intermediate), French (intermediate)
Publications (a selection)
- ‘International Construction Contract Law, 2nd Edition’; Wiley-Blackwell, 2018. Co-author.
- ‘Discussion document on the role of Early Warning Systems in mitigating risk for World Bank projects’; ResoLex, 2018. Co-author.
- ‘Fire Risk in Tall Building Façade systems: The Independent Review of UK Building Regulations and Fire Safety – Is the new UAE fire code relevant to UK post-Grenfell Tower?’, October 2017, ‘Perspective’ Journal.
- ‘Delay and Disruption in Construction Contracts’; Routledge, 5th edition, 2016. Co-author.
- ‘Enforcement of International Commercial Mediation Settlement Agreements’, July 2016, ‘Perspective’ Journal.
- ‘Real Time Dispute Resolution in Rio de Janeiro…Since you Cannot Delay the Olympic Games’, May 2015, Construction Law Journal & Kluwer Arbitration Blog.
- ‘UAE Fire Risks: A tall Concern.; MEIR News, April 2016. Co-author
- ‘DABs and DRBs: A comparison and Commentary’; DRBF Forum magazine.
- Protocol for Determining Extensions of time and Compensation for Delay and Disruption, publ. SCL. Contributor (First edition).
- Architect’s Legal Handbook, publ. Architectural Press. Contributor 8th & 9th editions (guide to Mediation).
- Hospital Design Guide (main entrances), publ. HMSO & NHS Estates. Author.
- Hospital Design Guide (day nurseries), publ. HMSO & NHS Estates. Author.
- Kirtipur, Nepal, publ. Araxus Books. Contributor (Newari House).
- Presented numerous papers for seminars and training workshops on construction dispute resolution issues, including FIDIC contracts, Dispute Boards, Arbitration, Mediation and Adjudication.
- ‘Adjudication and Expert Evidence’, papers for Abu Dhabi, Brazil, Dubai, Kosovo, Romania, Turkey, UK.
- ‘The Use of Adjudication DRBs’; DRBF Forum magazine.
- ‘Changing legal landscape’, paper for CES Construction Law Review.
- ‘Investigation of defects’, paper for Construction Law Journal.
- ‘El Uso de la Adjudicación en el Reino Unido’; Arbitraje y Resolución de Controversias, Tecniberia, Spain.
- Regular author of articles for ‘Perspective’ Probyn Miers’ newsletter (www.probyn-miers.com/perspective) (﹟PerspectivePM)
For a detailed CV please contact us.