Christopher J P Miers
BA (Hons), DipArch, MSc (Constr.Law), DipICArb RIBA, FCIArb, MAE
Christopher Miers is Chartered Architect, Chartered Arbitrator, Mediator, Adjudicator and a Dispute Board Member. In 1998 he founded Probyn Miers , the leading Architects in Forensic Analysis and International Dispute Avoidance and Resolution now part of HKA, with a worldwide presence.
Wide experience in complex projects up to €15 billion and on claims in excess of US$200M. Christopher is highly respected and renowned for his negotiating and advisory expertise in Construction Dispute Resolution.
He has been taking instructions to act as an Expert since 1988 and he has provided technical expert opinion on a wide range of alleged defects .
Regularly instructed as an Expert Witness, Third Party Neutral, Arbitrator, Mediator, and Dispute Board Member in the UK and Worldwide.
- Extensive experience as Architect over 35 years, including complex structural and building services engineering co-ordination.
- His advisory and negotiating roles have covered a wide range of multi-disciplinary building and infrastructure projects worldwide:
- Expert Witness in over 375 cases – domestic and international – in arbitration, litigation, and mediation.
- He has undertaken ICC Tribunal and Single Joint Expert Appointments.
- Arbitrator and Adjudicator appointed in over 125 construction projects.
- Standard forms of contract: FIDIC , JCT (all forms), NEC3, AIA, RIAI and other standard and specialist forms. Member contracts drafting committee, JCT.
- FIDIC President’s List of Approved Dispute Adjudicators.
- Past President Dispute Resolution Board Foundation – DRBF –
- Dispute Board appointments in Africa, Europe, Middle East, Latin America.
- Adjudicator on €15 billion civil engineering and nuclear power.
- Panel Adjudicator on €7 billion Conflict Avoidance Programme, England (tunnelling / rail works).
- Past Chairman The Society of Construction Law, UK.
- Past Visiting Professor ‘ Peking University School of Transnational Law’
- Past Visiting lecturer at Universities in UK, lecturing on International Commercial Mediation and Dispute Boards.
- RIBA representative to the UK Construction Industry Council Appeals Tribunal
- RIBA representative on the Joint Contracts Tribunal.
- FIDIC President’s List of Approved Dispute Adjudicators
- DRBF Dispute Resolution Board Foundation, Dispute Board Member
- CIArb Panel Listed Arbitrator and Adjudicator (UK)
- RICS Dispute Board Panel Member & MENA Arbitrator (UK)
- DIAC (Dubai International Arbitration Centre); Listed Arbitrator
- CRCIA The Cairo Regional Centre, Egypt
- CIC Panel Adjudicator
- RIBA Panel Listed Arbitrator, Adjudicator and Mediator
- CEDR Panel Listed Mediator and Adjudicator (UK)
- RICS Panel Listed Adjudicator
- CIOB Panel Listed Adjudicator
- Resolex Panel Listed Construction Mediator (UK)
- Contractors Legal Group, Listed Adjudicator (UK)
Membership of Professional Bodies
- DRBF -Dispute Resolution Board Foundation- Past President (International Region).
- FIDIC President’s List
- CIArb Fellow Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, UK
- RIBA (Royal Institute of British Architects), UK
- RICS MENA Arbitrator and Dispute Board Member, UK
- DBF (Dispute Board Federation), Fellow
- SCA Arbitrator (Society of Construction Arbitrators, UK
- Freeman and Liveryman, Worshipful Company of Arbitrators, UK
- Academy of Experts, Member, UK
- Visiting Professor ‘Peking University of Transnational Law’
- Bachelor of Arts(Hons.) degree, University of Bristol (1979)
- Diploma in Architecture, University of Bristol (1982)
- Master’s degree in Construction Law & Arbitration, Kings College, University of London (1991)
- Diploma in International Commercial Arbitration, CIArb at Keble College, Oxford University (2008)
- Chartered Architect
- Chartered Arbitrator
- Accredited Mediator
- English (mother tongue)
- Spanish (Intermediate)
- French (intermediate)
Publications (a selection)
- Numerous papers and public speaking for worldwide papers and presentations on construction dispute resolution; FIDIC contracts; Dispute Boards, Adjudication and Expert Evidence.
- ‘International Construction Contract Law, 2nd Edition’; Wiley-Blackwell, 2018. Co-author.
- ‘Discussion document on the role of Early Warning Systems in mitigating risk for World Bank projects’; ResoLex, 2018. Co-author.
- ‘Fire Risk in Tall Building Façade systems: The Independent Review of UK Building Regulations and Fire Safety – Is the new UAE fire code relevant to UK post-Grenfell Tower?’, October 2017, ‘Perspective’ Journal.
- ‘Delay and Disruption in Construction Contracts’; Routledge, 5th edition, 2016. Co-author.
- ‘Enforcement of International Commercial Mediation Settlement Agreements’, July 2016, ‘Perspective’ Journal.
- ‘Real Time Dispute Resolution in Rio de Janeiro…Since you Cannot Delay the Olympic Games’, May 2015, Construction Law Journal & Kluwer Arbitration Blog.
- ‘UAE Fire Risks: A tall Concern.; MEIR News, April 2016. Co-author
- ‘DABs and DRBs: A comparison and Commentary’; DRBF Forum magazine.
- Protocol for Determining Extensions of time and Compensation for Delay and Disruption, publ. SCL. Contributor (First edition).
- Architect’s Legal Handbook, publ. Architectural Press. Contributor 8th & 9th editions (guide to Mediation).
- Hospital Design Guide (main entrances), publ. HMSO & NHS Estates. Author.
- Hospital Design Guide (day nurseries), publ. HMSO & NHS Estates. Author.
- Kirtipur, Nepal, publ. Araxus Books. Contributor (Newari House).
- Presented numerous papers for seminars and training workshops on construction dispute resolution issues, including FIDIC contracts, Dispute Boards, Arbitration, Mediation and Adjudication.
- ‘Adjudication and Expert Evidence’, papers for Abu Dhabi, Brazil, Dubai, Kosovo, Romania, Turkey, UK.
- ‘The Use of Adjudication DRBs’; DRBF Forum magazine.
- ‘Changing legal landscape’, paper for CES Construction Law Review.
- ‘Investigation of defects’, paper for Construction Law Journal.
- ‘El Uso de la Adjudicación en el Reino Unido’; Arbitraje y Resolución de Controversias, Tecniberia, Spain.
- Regular author of articles for ‘Perspective’ Probyn Miers’ newsletter (www.probyn-miers.com/perspective) (﹟PerspectivePM)
For a detailed CV please contact us.