BA, DipArch, RIBA, FCIArb, MAE
Gerard is a Chartered Architect with more than 20 years experience in the construction industry in the UK and internationally.
He has been responsible for expert analysis on a wide of range of cases involving the performance of architects and contractors and design and construction defects. A member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, specialising in adjudication.
- Gerard has been instructed as an expert in the resolution of a wide range of building defects cases concerning flat roofing, rain screen cladding, screeds, damp proofing and glazing systems.
- He has highly valued experience in the analysis and review of consultants’, architects’ and contractors’ performance, as well as the analysis of technical problems and their resolution.
- Gerard’s architectural practice covers the UK as well as in international appointments in Ireland, Singapore, USA, China, Hong Kong, Malaysia and Vietnam. His experience extends to hotels, education, health, retail, public schemes and large scale housing refurbishments, as well as several high-specification one-off houses and office fit-outs.
- He has worked extensively on Listed Buildings and in Conservation Areas including a Unesco World Heritage site.
- He has run projects under Management Contracts, Construction Management and Partnering arrangements and other job-specific contracts as well as under more common standard forms.
- Before joining Probyn Miers he had his own architectural practice, prior to which he was an associate director with a practice in London.
- Gerard has taught at several Architectural schools.
Publications (a selection)
- ‘Expert Evidence in Adjudication’, October 2015, ‘Perspective’ Journal.
- ‘Procurement Advice: The Role of the Architect’, October 2013, ‘Perspective’ Journal.
- ‘Expert Evidence in Adjudication’, February 2013, ‘Perspective’ Journal.
- ‘RIBA Work Stages – Getting the paperwork in order?’, June 2012, ‘Perspective’ Journal.
- ‘Reduce your carbon footprint? New Building Regulations Part L, revised 2010?’, October 2010, ‘Perspective’ Journal.
- Gerard’s design work has been published in various journals and newspapers, and exhibited at the RIBA, Royal Academy and RIAI.
- He has published numerous articles in the architectural press and has written for the Construction Law Journal.
Recent Public Speaking – a selection
- “Gerard McLean TV Interview on Grenfell Tower fire”; ITV News, June 2017, London
- “Gerard McLean Live TV Interview on Grenfell Tower fire”; RTE Prime Time, June 2017, London
- The Content of an Expert Report, RICS Expert Witness Conference, 6th June 2013
For a detailed CV please contact us