BSc (Edin) DipArch MSc Construction Law
Katerina is a Chartered Architect with over 25 years’ experience in the construction industry in the UK and overseas. She holds a Master’s Degree in Construction Law & Dispute Resolution.
Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and the Academy of Experts.
Appointed as an Architect Expert Witness including as single joint expert appointments.
Katherina has a portfolio of national and international experience in the design, management, coordination and contract administration of new-build, refurbishment and restoration projects of both commercial and high-quality residential accommodation.
- Katerina has worked as an Expert Witness on over 65 cases in the UK, Abu Dhabi, Dubai and Tanzania, with over 50 appointments as named expert. She has also been instructed directly by first tier Contractors.
- She has acted in matters relating to design defects, fire safety and regulatory compliance, professional negligence, insurance and warranties, building defects, project management, contract administration and numerous technical
- She has a broad experience in design, construction and urban regeneration projects in London, Beirut and the wider Middle East, including urban regeneration, master planning commercial development, residential development, listed buildings, interior design, management of residential and commercial projects (US$50 million)
- Site Architect and Project Architect for urban and new build projects (£20 million+) , extensive work on Listed Buildings / Conservation Areas in UK.
- Drafting / amendment of appointments, bespoke contracts, warranties and novation agreements, consultancy to architects relating to legal compliance, risk management, issues of liability and professional negligence, dispute avoidance and dispute
- CPD lecturer on professional practice in the architecture industry.
- External Part III examiner, University of Westminster (from September 2020)
Qualifications and Training
- 2011. MSc Construction Law (Distinction) King’s College London
- 1993. Professional Practice, RIBA part III UCA Canterbury
- 1992. Dip. Arch, RIBA part II UCA Canterbury
- 1989. BSc Architecture, RIBA part I Edinburgh University
- Architects Registration Board Registered Architect
- Royal Institute of British Architects Chartered Member
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Member
- Academy of Experts Member
- Society of Construction Law Member
- Adjudication Society Member
- Kings College Construction Law Association Member
- Arbitral Women Member
Awards / Competitions
- Awarded the Society of Construction Law Award in 2011 for best dissertation upon completion of the MSc in Construction Law at Kings College London.
- Exhibited at 2003 Royal Academy Summer Exhibition.
- Entry to Grand Egyptian Museum Competition in 2002 (with Ayssar Arida) shortlisted as exceptional entry and included in publication of selected entries.
Publications (a selection)
- ‘RIBA New Code of Conduct 2019’, June 2019, ‘Perspective’ Journal.
- ‘Architects: Beware the Budget!’, February 2018, ‘Perspective’ Journal.
- ‘Access to Justice: Recent Developments in Alternative Dispute Resolution’, February 2017, ‘Perspective’ Journal.
- ‘Final Certificates and the “conclusive evidence” clause under JCT: An update’ 2015, ‘Perspective’ Journal.
- ‘Subterranean Home Trick Blues’, June 2015, ‘Perspective’ Journal.
- Going, going, gone! Expert immunity after Jones v Kaney / What does the future hold for Expert Witnesses in the construction field?”-2011. (Driver Trett Digest Newsletter Issue 3, June 2013).
- French (moderate)
- Greek (basic)
- Arabic (basic)
Recent Public Speaking – a selection
- “Sweating the small stuff: Is an enhanced duty of care owed by Architects to inexperienced clients?” – Lecture delivered to Society of Construction Law (North East), Durham, November 2019.
- “Writing expert reports” – Lecture delivered at CIArb’s ‘Expert Witness Seminar’, May 2019.
- “Dispute Resolution in Construction” – Lecture delivered at Brunel University as part of Professional Engineering Practice module as guest lecturer, November 2016.
- “Consumer Refurbishment Clients and Contract Administration Obligations” – Talk delivered at ‘Construction, the Consumer and the Law’, conference held at King’s College London, June 2016.
For a detailed CV please contact us