BA(Hons), BSc(Hons)Arch, DipArch, MA (Hons) RIBA, MAE, MIFireE
Martin is a Chartered Architect with over 40 years’ experience. The depth of his investigation and knowledge of fire related cases is exceptional. His tenacity for complex problem-solving is highly respected in the industry.
He has acted in disputes involving matters of professional negligence, fire safety, design and construction defects and in disputes with extensive and complex range of technical issues.
Martin has acted as Architect and/or Contract Administrator under traditional, design & build and construction management contracts.
He has been with Probyn Miers for over 15 years – past Associate Director- and continues on his semi-permanent role providing our clients with the benefit of his advisory and consultancy services. Martin is held in high esteemed by our team.
- Instructed as architect expert from 2004 in over 50 appointments. He has appeared as expert witness in adjudication proceedings and in mediations and he has acted as single joint expert and as expert adviser. Appointed in non-litigious advisory roles including Design Audits.
- Martin has in-depth knowledge of Building Regulations, supporting Approved Documents and other published design and construction guidance.
- His specialist in-depth knowledge in complex fire safety issues earned Martin the title of the “The Architect Who Knew Too Much About Fire ” . A vast expertise on negotiations with Fire Brigades and local authorities on the fire strategies for large and unique buildings.
- He has cooperated with fire engineers as architect and expert witness and he has reported fire damage claims (£80m+) arising from arson; hot work; electrical faults; equipment overheating; saunas and lightning strike. He has analysed the reasons for spread of fire including defects in compartmentation; cavity barriers; fire-and smoke-stopping; timber and other lightweight-frame constructions and the applications, fixings and combustibility of materials. He has reported on means of escape, passive fire protection; spread of fire internally and externally; insurance issues and the interpretation of published guidance.
- Extensive analysis of the design and construction of university buildings; swimming pools; sports / leisure complexes; industrial buildings; cold stores; commercial and residential premises. He has reported on basements, low-rise, medium-rise and tall buildings.
- Cases of construction defects have included damp, mould growth and condensation problems, waterproofing, damp-proofing, insulation materials, vapour barriers, roofing, flooring, insulated core cladding panels and timber-frame buildings. He has also produced expert reports on the performance of contractors, architects and other construction professionals, regarding specification, delay, inspection, practical completion and certification issues.
Membership of Professional Bodies
- Architects Registration Board – Registered Architect
- Royal Institute of British Architects – Chartered Member
- Academy of Experts – Member – past –
- Institution of Fire Engineers – Member
- Society of Construction Law – Member
- English – mother tongue
- Spanish – Proficiency. Masters in Spanish and Latin American Cultural Studies, Birkbeck College, University of London- 2013.
Publications (a selection)
- ‘Fire Safety in Tall Buildings, Part 2 – The Future ’ 2016. ‘Perspective’ Journal.
- ‘UAE Fire Risks: A tall Concern’. MEIR Magazine – Dubai, 2016. Co-author.
- ‘Fire Risks From External Cladding Panels – A Perspective from The UK’, 2016. ‘Perspective’ Journal.
- ‘Fire Safety in Tall Buildings – Part 1’ 2015. ‘Perspective’ Journal.
- ‘Construction Legislation in England and Wales’. The Architects’ Legal Handbook 10th Edition – 2010, co-author.
- ‘Building Regulations Update for England: Part B – Fire Safety’, June 2020, ‘Perspective’ Journal.
Public Speaking (a selection)
- ‘A Forensic Examination Of Tall Building Facade Fires’ Tall Building Fire Safety Network, FIREX, London – June 2016
- ‘Fires In The Sky – Building Envelope Fires In Dubai Skyscrapers’ RISCAuthority, Manchester – May 2016
For a detailed CV please contact us