BSc Arch (Hons), Dip Arch, MSc (Construction Law), RIBA
Michael is a Chartered Architect and specialist in Construction Law and Dispute Resolution with nineteen years’ experience as a Contract Administrator and Lead Architect for multi-disciplinary teams delivering new build, refurbishment and mixed-use projects.
With a substantial expertise in Design and Risk Management; as advisor on Dispute Resolution options; on Contract and Liability issues and on Procurement and Programing.
Experienced in negotiating appointments in the UK, Europe and Middle East.
- Michael has a substantial record as a lead consultant for multi-disciplinary teams. In his advisory role as a Risk Manager he has worked with several UK’s leading architectural practices.
- An extensive background in the design and management of projects working in conservation areas, listed buildings, design + build developments and multi-use building projects
- Familiar with large scale and complex urban regeneration projects
- Championing the use of risk management procedures
- As well as providing in-house specialist guidance on contracts, he has provided project monitor services and stage report audits
- An extensive portfolio of projects involving remedial works, procurement and programming and on standard and bespoke forms of contracts.
- Harper Downie (2014-2017), Associate Director. Expert Witness report on instruction from BLP Law. Key projects include: A marina development in Montenegro (£500m), a residential, leisure and commercial development in Oman, the conversion of a Grade II listed building to a 5* hotel and a number of high-end new- build residential projects in London.
- Mace Group (2011-2014). Part of a multi-disciplinary project management consultancy providing feasibility studies and detailed designs for fast track Home Office projects including HS2 headquarters in Canary Wharf and Border Force training facilities at Heathrow Airport. Also engaged on the Priority School Building Programme. Acted as Contract Administrator and Lead Architect for a number of new build schools. (Construction values ranging from £5-£20m)
- Studio UAR (2006-2011), Co-director. Working on listed buildings, residential, commercial and mixed use projects in sensitive conservation areas in London and the south west of England.
- Architecture PLB (2003-2006), senior Architect. Providing tender and production information for an affordable housing scheme (£9m) and a multifunctional education facility (£17m).
- Paul Davis & Partners (2002-2003). Part of a team delivering residential and commercial projects in the City of Westminster and RBKC with values of up to £5m.
- Harper Mackay (1998-2002), senior Architect. Working on Design + Build developments, multi-use projects (up to £20m) and on a large and complex urban regeneration scheme in a sensitive site involving English Heritage and a number of local stakeholders (£70m).
- Burrell Architects (1995-1998). Part of a team providing architectural design. Lead designer services for design + build commercial projects (£2.5m).
- MSc Construction Law & Dispute Resolution, King‘s College, University of London (2012)
- RIBA Part III, The Bartlett, University College London (1998)
- Dip Arch (Fitzroy Robinson drawing prize), The Bartlett, University College London (1991-1993)
- BSc Architecture (1st Class) Polytechnic of North London (1988-1991)
- Architects Registration Board – ARB
- RIBA member
- Society of Construction Law
Publications (a selection)
- ‘Architects Keeping Good Records’, June 2019, ‘Perspective’ Journal.
- ‘A random selection – Choosing samples for inspection’, November 2018, ‘Perspective’ Journal.
For a detailed CV please contact us