Robin A Orme
MA, MPhil, DipArch, RIBA, FCIArb, CArb
Robin is a Chartered Architect, Chartered Arbitrator, Expert Witness and Adjudicator with over 30 years of experience in the Construction Industry.
- Robin has accumulated extensive experience as Architect, Project Team Leader and Practice Manager during his career of 30 years.
- Experienced in a wide range of disputes (up to £2.8 million), involving issues of consultant appointments, performance and entitlement to fees, contractor performance, contract administration, development carried out without planning consent, specialist design, acoustic performance, and technical issues of multi-storey timber frame design, external envelope design and construction, flooring, and residential detailing.
- He has been appointed as Adjudicator or Arbitrator in more than 70 disputes, dealing with issues including professional negligence, workmanship and defects, jurisdiction, terms of contract, fees, withholding/set-off, valuation and final account, extension of time and liquidated damages, and determination.
- His expertise covers traditional procurement as well as design-and-build and management contracts.
- He has also acted as Employer’s Agent and Consultant Architect on retail and industrial developments.
- He has led a wide spectrum of projects (up to £25 million at current values), including town centre, superstore, retail park, industrial, office and residential developments.
- Robin has a strong background in design development, construction detailing and contract administration.
- A member of the RIBA, RICS, TeCSA, AICA and CIC adjudication panels.
- A member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and RIBA arbitration panels.
- Chairman of the South East Branch of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators in 1999-2000 and 2004-2006.
- A lecturer on Adjudication for the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators.
- He has been Senior Associate in a commercial practice and he has been Practice Manager for two residential and commercial practices, responsible for resourcing, appointments, project viability, practice procedures, training and staff development, and quality management.
Publications (a selection)
- ‘What’s That Smell? – Olfactory Forensics or Following Your Nose’, May 2017, ‘Perspective’ Journal.
- ‘Changes to The Construction Act- Clarification of The New Payment Provisions’, June 2014, ‘Perspective’ Journal.
- ‘Experts in Low-Value Disputes’, February 2012, ‘Perspective’ Journal.
- ‘Relying on Specialist Advice’, June 2011, ‘Perspective’ Journal.
- ”New Act, new skills”, a paper about amendments to statutory adjudication for the Adjudication Society.
Recent Public Speaking – a selection
- Tutoring for CIArb on the Module 2 Adjudication course on 12 and 26 November 2013 and on 12 February 2014.
- One of four leaders for one of four workshops (‘What is natural justice?) at the Adjudication Society Annual Conference in London on Friday 22 November 2013.
For a detailed CV please contact us